Adele Tops Gaga, Beyonce & Britney for MTV's Top Song of 2011
Offering up their take on the best in music over the past twelve months, MTV
has debuted their rundown of the Top 25 songs from 2011.
Perched atop the pack is the chart-topping "Rolling In the Deep" from Adele while the single "Vomit" from Girls nabbed runner-up honors with Jay-Z and Kanye West's "N---as in Paris" taking third.
Going in depth about their pick of Adele's "Rolling In the Deep" as the top tune of the year, MTV wrote, "Not only the song of the year, it's also quite possibly the song of our time, which is an odd thing to say, considering "Deep" is about as artfully anachronistic as popular music gets: a crackling, breathy thing that roils along on little more than a stubby guitar and some primal pounding, it positively roars to life the second the chorus hits, powered entirely by Adele's prodigious pipes. No Auto-Tune, no mention of partying or material excess (and not even a single Will Ferrell sample), "Deep" is a throwback in every conceivable way to a time when artists actually sang (and sang about real, genuine emotions like sadness and anger), when a single could push an album for months and months at a time and, most of all, when people still bought music. And despite all that, it was still the crossover smash to end all crossover smashes, the song that not only dominated 2011, but defined it, too. Sort of gives you hope ... or makes you realize we truly are living in the strangest of times."
The complete list of MTV's Top 25 songs of 2011 is as follows:
1. Adele, "Rolling in the Deep"
2. Girls, "Vomit"
3. Jay-Z and Kanye West, "N---as in Paris"
4. Lady Gaga, "Heavy Metal Lover"
5. Florence and the Machine, "Shake It Out"
6. Drake, "Take Care"
7. Bright Eyes, "The Ladder Song"
8. Nickelback, "Bottoms Up"
9. Beyoncé, "Love on Top"
10. Britney Spears, "Till the World Ends"
11. Rihanna, "We Found Love"
12. Foster The People, "Pumped Up Kicks"
13. LMFAO, "Party Rock Anthem"
14. Nicki Minaj, "Super Bass"
15. Lil Wayne, "6 Foot 7 Foot"
16. Washed Out, "Eyes be Closed"
17. YACHT, "Dystopia (The Earth Is on Fire)"
18. Chris Brown, "Beautiful People"
19. The Black Keys, "Lonely Boy"
20. Lykke Li, "Get Some"
21. Demi Lovato, "Skyscraper"
22. Gospel Music, "This Town Doesn't Have Enough Bars for Both Of Us"
23. Kreayshawn, "Gucci Gucci"
24. Against Me!, "Russian Spies"
25. Nicola Roberts, "Beat of My Drum"